Friday, January 10, 2014

Afghan Crochet Along Starting Next Week

Several people have asked me to do another afghan crochet-along. So we are going to do one! I've ordered yarn (Bernat Super Value worsted-weight acrylic) and have worked out all the block designs and the layout. UPS says my yarn will be here Monday, so next week sometime I'll be posting the first block pattern and information. It's not going to be a mystery crochet-along--I'm going to tell you what we're doing before we get started so you can plan your own one-of-a-kind masterpiece.

I can tell you now that this afghan offers lots of choices, and if you don't prefer the way I'm doing mine, there are many things you can change to suit yourself and still stick with the general afghan design. It's an opportunity to enjoy being creative no matter which path you choose.

So if you want to start gathering yarn, I have some preliminary information for you. I'm going to start with one big skein each of a lot of happy colors. I'll use maybe 15-17 colors. I'll let you know exactly which ones when mine arrives. I'll also possibly use one background color as yet to be decided, for which I figure I'll need 2-3 skeins. This will be a great scrap project if you want to destash to start the year off! Even though I'm planning to use a lot of color, I think it would also be nice in a more limited color palette. The choice is really yours. I'll show you an idea I have for making it in 7 colors. And the background being one color is optional. Joann still has the Bernat Super Value for a really great price online in case you're interested. I like it because it's a very smooth and soft yarn with an almost cottony feel to it.



That's about it for now! I hope you'll join me in making an interesting and unusual afghan.

17 comments:

  1. So looking forward to this, Carolyn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'll finish this one! The last, beautiful, shell CAL is still in pieces. Will finish it one of these days! I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered your blog! I have purchased a number of your designs in the past, and love them. So looking forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will run out and see how many colors I can pick up at Joanns! I'm definitely ready for this one! Thanks Carolyn for your creative mind and for sharing with us all! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lot of leftover yarns, and am hoping to use up a bunch of them...so I will most likely participate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a picture of the afghan somewhere that those who would like to can view ahead of time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be posting graphic representations of several versions of the afghan next week to give you a better idea of what it's going to be. I'll be making mine right along with you, so I don't have one to photograph yet. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm jazzed to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to use some of the stash I have. I have enough to either make the afghan colorful or just use a few colors! I haven't decided yet, I think I'll just play it by ear. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool! I loved the last cal I made with you and I'd love to make another one :-) I've got lots of stash that will suit this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it going to be a Tunsian afghan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not a Tunisian afghan. Just regular crochet.

      Delete
  11. I hope someday you think about a sweater/cardigan?? I want to make one for my niece so badly and I am scared of all the patterns...lol, yep scared. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was given this link by my friend Jaishree at Ravelry. This is so great. I love the first version and also the two coloured versions too. I will start this soon and hope to keep up with everyone. I need to buy yarn first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Sandhya! I will be posting yarn amounts needed here in the blog later today, and in the meantime I've posted them on my project's ravelry page http://www.ravelry.com/projects/gourmetcrochet/circle-dance-afghan-crochet-along Glad you will be crocheting along!

      Delete